funsec mailing list archives

[IP] Verizon Overrides Internet Searches With Its Own Results

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () cadence com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:08:08 -0700 (PDT)

Shades of Verisign all over again...  when will they learn?

From: David Farber <dave () farber net>
To: ip () v2 listbox com
Subject: [IP] Verizon Overrides Internet Searches With Its Own Results
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 22:07:11 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Gene Gaines" <gene.gaines () gainesgroup com>
Date: November 3, 2007 5:22:49 PM EDT
To: dave () farber net

The blindness born of monopoly has not bounds, even after the monopoly
is lost, witness this story on Verizon killing the carrier's argument
against net neutrality ...
Gene Gaines

Verizon Overrides Internet Searches With Its Own Results
Web search "tinkering" raises net neutrality concerns

by Martin H. Bosworth
ConsumerAffairs.Com

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/11/verizon_search.html

November 3, 2007

Subscribers to Verizon's high-powered fiber-optic Internet service
(FiOS) are reporting that when they mistype a Web site address, they
get redirected to Verizon's own search engine page -- even if they
don't have Verizon's search page set as their default.

[...]

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision."