funsec mailing list archives

Re: 5th of November

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 10:51:54 -0500 (EST)

That, I presume, is "V for Vendetta": I've never seen it, but I
gather it's based on an English comic book and has a tag line based
on the rhyme Gadi quoted.

A very good comic book (er, "graphic novel", a term I assume arose as
some kind of response to societal attitudes towards "comic book"s).

Odd that I like it, too - it's rather dystopian, and I don't normally
like dystopias.  Perhaps because it's got an overall positive message
and ending despite its being so dystopian.  (I too have never seen the
movie, and it's reasonably likely I never will; so far I've found I
generally don't like movies based on books when I like the book.)

And yes, V For Vendetta - the book - does use the "Remember, remember,
the fifth of November" line, though not with enough frequency for me to
call it a tag-line.

The rhyme is very old: it seems to go back to the early 1600s, when
the practice of celebrating the foiling of the Guy Fawkes plot (on
5th November 1605) began.  The practice of lighting bonfires and
burning effigies seems to have begun the following year, but I don't
know if the rhyme began then.

See Sandman #75, page 15, for one theory. :-)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca