funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Deploying Encryption to Protect Against ISPs

From: "Lawson, Joseph" <jsl () pqa com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 16:56:54 -0500

FTA: "In a few short weeks, three companies managed to destroy the
argument that 'Net neutrality is a theoretical issue by demonstrating
how it can go wrong - censoring rock bands, censoring political
advocacy, attacking peer-to-peer protocols."

Isn't the author confusing, as many do, Net Neutrailty with QOS.  As I
understand it, net neutraility just means that packets will get
delivered reguardless of source or destination without degredation of
service.  QOS is where they are getting into trouble.  Isn't it well
known that many providers do not let certain services on their network?
If you want full internet without their wacky QOS junk, pay for a real
ISP.