funsec mailing list archives

Re: No fun at all.

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:42:47 +1300

Drsolly wrote:

<<snip>>
I've never met someone who got scammed like this before; I always thought
it was stupid people and/or gullible types. This guy is very bright, and
I'd never have thought of him as gullible.

"stupid" -- not necessarily.

"gullible" -- yes, depending on your definition.

No matter how smart someone is, they'll almost certianly be very dumb
_about something_.  In that domain they are quite likely also
"gullible".  This is why top-of-their-field academic physicists can run
"experiments" that "prove" various "para-normal" capabilities in
various folk who believe they have such and/or know they are
charlatans, yet professional illusionists (aka "magicians") see right
through these "demonstrations" (it's probably also why the charlatans
never take the "prove it to us" challenge when the challenger is
a(nother) professional illusionist, but I digress...).

So, your friend is showing perfectly normal behaviour for an
intelligent human being.

Just don't let your belief in your (narrow) expertise, and its
associated extreme (but narrow) "intelligence" seduce you into over-
extending your belief in your "expertise in general".

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald