funsec mailing list archives

Advance Comment Spam

From: "Larry Seltzer" <Larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 20:18:56 -0500

In the last few hours I got a couple of comments on my PCMag blog
(http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/)

    Commenter Name: Whatever-ishere
    Commenter URL: http://www.whateverishere.com
    Comment: thanks for the GREAT post! Very useful...

The first comment came from 79.140.80.79, the second from 79.140.80.53,
but I'm not sure that matters.

The comment is idiotic ass-kissing, even if the blog posts were good
ones. We're running Sedo, which rated the comment as ham.

So I looked into the URL whateverishere.com, and it's unregistered. It's
my theory that they want to get a bunch of comments into the system
before there's anything objectionable at the URL, then they register the
site.

Anyone seen this? Does my theory make sense?

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com