funsec mailing list archives

Re: Breach of Obama's Passport Information Leads to Firings at U.S. State Dept.

From: dave () cirt net
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:17:20 -0400

Quoting Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>:
When I first got drafted, I stayed for a short while with the
recruitment office in Jerusalem. I remember that if you tried to look
up some known model's details on your acount, you'd get into trouble.

What I found was it was amazing how many places don't have these
monitors. One well known company, which will likely have records on
every UK and US individual here didn't have monitors for this. In fact
they questioned why I wanted to have an audit log of accesses and
individually identify everybody in the company I work for who accesses
their system.

It's also amazing how many of our call centre people scour the user
base and post round amusing names to their mates. I've helped in
getting quite a few people sacked for this sort of abuse...

But, in essence, this process is rife throughout places, especially
call centres, which have high turn over and low quality of staff.

dave