funsec mailing list archives

FBI Fails to Pay Phone Bills on Critical Surveillance

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:28:49 +0200 (EET)

From the ABC News article:

"By failing to pay its phone bills on time, the FBI had the line cut on a wiretap in a national security investigation
ordered by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act,
and missed other opportunities to collect key surveillance, according to a government report released Thursday."

And the article continues:

"According to the report, the FBI receives invoices from telecommunication carriers for surveillance connections and
renewal costs each month.

"As part of our audit, we analyzed 990 telecommunication surveillance payments made by five field divisions,
and found that over half of these payments were not made on time," a summary of the report noted."
--clip--

More at
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Blotter/DOJ/story?id=4120986&page=1

Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Intelligence_Surveillance_Act

Juha-Matti