funsec mailing list archives

Re: Old News - Can you help?

From: "Rob Thompson" <my.security.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:50:19 -0800

On Jan 12, 2008 3:39 PM, Young, Keith
<Keith.Young () montgomerycountymd gov> wrote:

I am trying to track down some information but am having a hell of a
time finding it.  I recall many moons ago, that AOL was shipping CD's
that had a virus on it.  Does anyone else remember this?

AOL, no. I remember Microsoft shipping a Word macro infected doc on CDs and the "Good Times" AOL hoax that floated
around for a while. Sure that you aren't thinking of one of these?

Yeah, I am sure.

I was talking to another one of my friends and he recalls it as well.
He remembers it having to do with the cd's being found on a tanker off
the coast of the UK or Asia.

I don't quite remember it like that, but I do remember it.  All of my
searches keep pulling info to do with AOL's new AV service...  ;p

Thanks though, I do appreciate the response.

--Keith
Keith Young, Security Official
Department of Technology Services
Montgomery County, Maryland