funsec mailing list archives

Re: Cryptome: NSA has real-time access to Hushmail servers

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 01:26:12 +0200 (EET)

A late reply to the original post
(http://linuxbox.org/pipermail/funsec/2007-December/015696.html )
because of Christmas holiday, sorry.

Hushmail Team has posted its response on 29th Dec to Cryptome:

"Hush Communications Corporation, the company that provides the Hushmail.com email service, is not owned, wholly or in
part, by any government agency.
...."

Link: cryptome.org/nsa-ssl-email.htm

Response from Safe-mail.net Team, in turn, is the following:

"1. We never had any contacts, direct or indirect, with the NSA or any other government
agency anywhere in the world.
2. All software we use is in-house development.
3. We have never shared our technology with any other party.
...."

posted on 24th Dec to Cryptome site.

Link: cryptome.org/nsa-ssl-email.htm

Response from Guardster (21st Dec):

"We can assure you that we do not cooperate with the NSA or any other government agency anywhere in the world.
...."

Link: cryptome.org/nsa-ssl-email.htm

Bugtraq has a separate thread with the same title since 27th Dec.

Valdis Kletnieks has posted the following information:
"Note that if they had been served with an NSL (National Security Letter), they may be legally *required* to lie about
it while cooperating.
...."

Several list members are pointing to U.S. Calea law Sec. 103 too.

Juha-Matti