funsec mailing list archives

Re: TrendMicro goes...

From: "Daniel H. Renner" <dan () losangelescomputerhelp com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:25:18 -0800

funsec-request () linuxbox org wrote:
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 05:02:03 GMT
From: "Paul Ferguson" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Subject: Re: [funsec] TrendMicro goes...
To: nick () virus-l demon co uk
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org

- -- Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk> wrote:

Has Trend ever tried to enforce this patent against (originally UK
company?) Integralis (or various of the other companies that have
subsequently owned that IP)??

See also:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1998_Jan_26/ai_20173448

- - ferg

p.s. Also, in response to jericho () attrition org message on
historical AV programs in the late 1980's - early 1990's:
As Nick (and others) will attest, I was very active in that
community back then. :-)

It bears repeating that this is not about prior art in AV
scanning, but rather, doing so on a gateway device (e.g. appliance)
which Trend Micro was the first to do -- hence the patent.

Version: PGP Desktop 9.6.3 (Build 3017)

wj8DBQFHoVZFq1pz9mNUZTMRAp9FAJ4rTZYQZTr+8+iqf2QpzfRglaKWBACeKM7t
5GiF6k5L93kihKNSpKYPDQE=
=Q4d1

My apologies for questioning you Ferg, and I do not mean that
facetiously, but wouldn't a device such as a computer running IPCop with
ClamAV on it count as similar to TM's patent?  And hence, prior "art"?

Sincerely,

Daniel H. Renner
President
Los Angeles Computerhelp