funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Four Horsemen Alert: Australia Moves to Mandatory ISP Content Filterin g - Users Must 'Opt Out'

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:05:33 -0500

On Dec 30, 2007 9:40 PM, Paul Ferguson <fergdawg () netzero net> wrote:

Via Australian IT.

[snip]

Australians will be forced to contact their internet service provider to
avoid having their access to the web restricted.

The restrictions are planned by the Federal Government to give greater
protection to children from online pornography and "violent" websites.

Under the plan, all internet service providers will be required to provide
a "clean" feed to households and schools, free of pornography and other
inappropriate material.

Weird. When I first heard of this, I thought it was only going to be
implemented in Schools and Libraries...

Australia has some really nice legislation in regards to protecting
children (for example, you arent allowed to advertise to kids under a
certain age), but this is definitely not one of them..

-JP<who is also interested in the Cisco angle>