funsec mailing list archives

Re: Huawei Sets Its Sights on U.S. Market

From: scott <redhowlingwolves () bellsouth net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 01:28:52 -0500

All I can think to say is:

America and the *Free World* had better be prepared for all out assaults on targets that may not be able to be foreseen.

Ala.Pearl Harbor?!

It seems that China is gearing up for a tech war.If we don't have countermeasures in play,we'll be squashed.

Just listening in on American transfers to other links seems woefully insufficient.

But we don't hear from China's IT in this regard.Not like I can call China's equivalent of the NSA and ask them,'Hey,Any assaults from the Anericans?
'Be sure,it is of top priority,I hope!

~ Scott

Paul Ferguson wrote:
| Interesting article, but I've heard these concerns voiced elsewhere
| in the not-so-distant past, too.
|
| Fear & loathing, or genuine concern? You decide.
|
| Via The Washington Post.
|
| [snip]
|
| - From a fortress-like corporate campus in this southern city [Shenzhen,
| China], retired army officer Ren Zhengfei is building one of China's most
| successful experiments in capitalism. A mammoth operation with 70,000
| employees and strong backing from the state, Huawei Technologies brags that
| its goal is to dominate telecommunications equipment markets all over the
| world.
|
| Its current focus: America.
|
| Fueling [U.S.] lawmakers' unease about the Huawei deal is that no one knows
| exactly who owns it. Technically, Huawei is a private venture, not
| state-owned. But the company won't reveal information about its
| shareholders except to say it's "100 percent employee-owned," with its
| chief executive owning 1 percent.
|
| Research organization Rand Corp. said that Huawei has "deep ties" with the
| Chinese military. It is not only a customer of Huawei's, Rand said in an
| analysis prepared for the U.S. government, but also was a "political patron
| and research and development partner."
|
| [snip]
|
| More:
| http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/05/AR200801050
| 2608.html
|
| - ferg

- --
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
~ Engineering Architecture for the Internet
~ fergdawg(at)netzero.net
~ ferg's tech blog: http://fergdawg.blogspot.com/