funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] The Internet Anonymity Experiment

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:09:00 +0000 (UTC)

: >I don't see a "tenacious stalker" getting all of that though. Think about
: what it takes to get each thing listed above, the money involved, what
: systems you'd have to break into and gain full control over, etc.
: >
:
: Still, it does illustrate the issue that individuals do not have control
: over the propagation of their personal identifying information.
:
: Would you agree?

Well sure, but this 'test' did not prove that any more than we already
knew. Had he truly limited more to what a 'tenacious stalker' could do,
or further define/refine/qualify what he considers a 'tenacious stalker'
to be, then it might be of real interest.

I think many of us often forget that we have our heads buried in this
industry. We know what information is available, what services are out
there to find such information and knows various loopholes or tactics for
finding the information. A majority of the population simply doesn't know
all of that, and their 'stalking' would be more limited to Google and the
victim's trash can, if they live in the same area.