funsec mailing list archives

Re: RIP: Full disk encryption?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:16:25 -0500 (EST)

The move, which cannot be carried out remotely, exploits a
little-known vulnerability of the dynamic random access, or DRAM,
chip.  Those chips temporarily hold data, including the keys to
modern data-scrambling algorithms.  When the computer’s electrical
power is shut off, the data, including the keys, is supposed to
disappear.
I heard that before, but thought it is a hoax considering the fact
DRAM cells are being refreshed quite often (every 64ms?).  Anyone
tried that?

I haven't tried the vulnerability described per se, but I can attest to
the reality of some kind of memory effect; I've seen the kernel message
buffer mostly survive a power-cycle after having been constant (as far
as the RAM is concerned) for hours.  Whether this is the effect
described in the paper at hand or the "long-stored data skews the cell"
effect I am not in a position to say.

I find it plausible that frequent refresh is necessary to get the error
rate down to within specs for the chip, but that less frequent refresh
(seconds- or minutes-long) still preserves most of the data.  (Consider
that a bit error rate of, say, 2% is insanely high for normal use but
quite low enough to be useful to an attacker.)

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca