funsec mailing list archives

Re: Taliban Orders Afghan Cellphone Companies to Shut Down Networks at Night

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:35:25 -0500

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:58:03 +0200, Juha-Matti Laurio said:

The Taliban, which wants the networks to go dark between 5pm and 7am each
night, is convinced that Allied troops are using the cellphone networks to
track down its remaining fighters."

Umm.. if the network shuts down at night, the Taliban fighters will have to make
calls during the day - and we can use the exact same methods to track them down
then.

Am I being a dim bulb and missing something, or is the Taliban?