funsec mailing list archives

Re: Google Earth showed protesters way to conquer parliament

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 02:06:48 +0200 (EET)

The working URL of the article is
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3458431.ece

now.

Juha-Matti

"Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com> kirjoitti:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/incomingFeeds/article3458431.ece

Demonstrators revealed yesterday that they had used Google Earth to plot
their protest on the roof of the Houses of Parliament last week against the
expansion of Heathrow, writes .

The website, which allows users to zoom in on satellite photographs of
Earth, "showed us all the walkways, steps and other details we needed to
make our way across the roof from the door to the far side where the public
could see us", said Leo Murray, one of the five protesters.

The planning for the stunt began last autumn after the government published
documents for a public consultation on a possible third runway at
Heathrow."What really enraged us was the government saying it supported the
idea [of a third runway] even before the consultation began," said Murray,
31, a postgraduate student in animation. "The consultation was also rigged
to exclude almost any mention of climate change."