funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.S. Treasury 'Watch List' Causes eNom to YankLegitimate Travel Domai ns

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 16:14:46 -0500 (EST)

He switched the domains to .NET, but that means the registry is still
VeriSign, of Virginia in the US of A.  Couldn't the government still
impose the blacklist that way?

In principle?  Yes, they could try.

Actually, I hope they do, because that kind of heavy-handed action is
one of the few things that I think might actually get the rest of the
net to move the Internet governance root outside the USA (a step I've
believed has needed taking for a long time).  Indeed, that they did it
even with eNom is deeply disturbing to me.

After all, the current top of the pyramid has power only insofar as
people pay attention to them.  As long as things don't get really
egregious, this doesn't matter, because inertia, interoperability, and
the costs associated with setting up a new root make the bar very high.
But it's not infinitely high....

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca