funsec mailing list archives

Using the F-word to break out of voice response hell

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 14:40:51 -0400

Hi,

This morning I had to call my mortgage company to fix a problem with my
account.  Like most big institutions, this company uses a voice response
system to direct incoming calls to the correct department.  After a few
minutes of going in circles with this system without getting anywhere, I
finally blurted out "F*** you" to the computer.  The computer then very
nicely said that it sounded like I was upset and immediately connected me to
a human being would was able to transfer my call to the appropriate person.

Before using the "F-word", I also had said "operator".  However, The
computer refused to connect me to anyone because it said it needed more
information about the purpose of my call.  I guess it doesn't pay to be
nice.

I suspect that this is "F-word" short cut is a feature of most voice
response systems that do speech recognition.

Richard