funsec mailing list archives

Network Solutions steals domain ideas; Confirmed!

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:15:43 +0200 (EET)

January 8th, 2008 by Jay Westerdal

"I am confirming that Network Solutions steals domain ideas when people check domain availability on the Network
Solutions website.

They seem to have started the practice of stealing domain ideas on December 16th 2007 according to our Domain History
database but I was just made aware of this practice today."
--clip--

More at
http://blog.domaintools.com/2008/01/network-solutions-steals-domain-ideas-confirmed/

several screenshots included

DomainState discussion thread is located at
http://www.domainstate.com/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=85864

in turn:

"BEWARE: Don’t Search For Names At NetworkSolutions.com

Network Solutions has instituted a 4 day lock on all domain names searched on their site. They are effectively using
phishing techniques to hijack or steal domain names and forcing domain name registrants to register their names at Network
Solutions."

Juha-Matti