funsec mailing list archives

Spyware writer endorses IE over Firefox, Opera

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 18:08:37 -0400

I was helping a friend today to clean up a spyware infection on his laptop.
The spyware Trojan on his computer is implemented as an Internet Explorer
BHO and it grabs usernames and passwords from login forms of online banking
Web sites.  I did some research on the Trojan and found that it also deletes
key DLLs used by Firefox and Opera.  At first, I was confused why.  Then I
realized the Trojan author only wants people to use Internet Explorer and
not other browsers.  It's probably too much effort to do a port his Trojan
to Firefox and Opera, so he instead tries to force people to always use IE.

I'm also scratching my head why BHOs in Internet Explorer aren't denied
access to the DOM of a Web page which uses the https: protocol.

Richard