funsec mailing list archives

Re: FW: [ PRIVACY Forum ] Internet "Keystone Cops" MeetDepartment of Homeland Security?

From: "Discini, Sonny" <Sonny.Discini () montgomerycountymd gov>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:21:13 -0400

"Neighborhood Network Watch" -- http://www.dhsnnw.org

This appears to be a private organization -- the domain is registered
with an e-mail address of "jollyrogerjonesy" -- which claims an
association with the Department of Homeland Security.  They promote the
monitoring (packet sniffing, etc.) of open Wi-Fi networks, along with
the analysis and reporting of contents to locate "terrorist activities"
and other network-based evil.

------

This reminds me of the time when the local fire dept. decided to,
"...just ride around town looking for fires..." as a way to improve on
the efficiency of finding fires.

Thanks for the laugh. I needed one today.

Sonny Discini, Senior Network Security Engineer
Department of Technology Services
Enterprise Infrastructure Division
Montgomery County Government