funsec mailing list archives

I have a bad feeling about this

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 14:21:42 -0400

        Automatic Patch-Based Exploit Generation
        http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbrumley/pubs/apeg.html

        "The automatic patch-based exploit generation problem is: given a
        program P and a patched version of the program P', automatically
        generate an exploit for the potentially unknown vulnerability
        present in P but fixed in P'. In this paper, we propose techniques
        for automatic patch-based exploit generation, and show that our
        techniques can automatically generate exploits for vulnerable
        programs based upon patches provided via Windows Update."

That part doesn't bother me: my response to Microsoft products is to
quote Zathras: "This...is wrong tool.  Never use this."

The part that bothers me is that if they're right, and having only skimmed
the paper, I offer no opinion on that yet, then it seems to me that this
technique may work on other systems.

---Rsk