funsec mailing list archives

Re: Bad Idea of The Week: 'Friendly Botnets'

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:59:14 -0400

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:36:59 PDT, Blue Boar said:
Possibly more of a bad name. I don't see anything inherently evil in
distributed front-end proxies. Doubtful how workable it is, though.

Am I misreading the fine article, or are they saying it's harder for
a botnet to DDoS a server if it's load-balanced across a shitload of
front-end servers, preferably geographically diverse?

The guys who have been anycasting the root DNS servers for years will
welcome this advance. ;)