funsec mailing list archives

Catch Exceptions Or Let Them Die?

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 09:12:27 -0400

Interesting blogger catfight going on at Microsoft. See I.M. Wright
(http://blogs.msdn.com/eric_brechner/archive/2008/05/01/crash-dummies-re
silience.aspx)  and Larry Osterman
http://blogs.msdn.com/larryosterman/archive/2008/05/01/resilience-is-not
-necessarily-a-good-thing.aspx duking it out over whether it's best to
catch exceptions and try to service them or just let the program crash.

When you get into it, it's clear there's less separating the two than it
may at first seem.  Osterman only thinks "exceptional" exceptions should
be thrown to the wolves and Wright isn't saying you should try to
recover from everything. I guess this shit is just hard.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/ <http://security.eweek.com/>
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/
<http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/>
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com
<mailto:larry.seltzer () ziffdavisenterprise com>