funsec mailing list archives

Re: Mystisicm or real statistics?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 08:08:42 +0100 (BST)

OK, but what about Windows 98, which is the Windows version I prefer when
Windows is required?

On Fri, 9 May 2008, John LaCour wrote:

It says 'vulnerable to malware'.   Here are the stats from PC Tools in
the article:

"According to statistics gathered from users of PC Tools' ThreatFire
security service, Vista let 639 threats per thousand computers
through, compared with 586 for Windows 2000, 478 for Windows 2003, and
1,021 for Windows XP. "

So XP systems have more malware on them than Vista according to PC Tools.

I think it's just a common issue of a correllation vs. causal.
Perhaps folks running 2K
these days are better at protecting their systems?   Or Vista is
generally used by
folks with new computers who may also be new to learning how to avoid malware
or downloading special codecs for their new 'puters.

-John

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Alex Eckelberry