funsec mailing list archives

Re: guess who just got his identity stolen?

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 15:14:43 -0800

Date sent:              Sun, 25 May 2008 16:48:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:                   Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>

Me.

Not that it helped them much, they got through two transactions before the
credit card was blocked.

I've had my card data grabbed about half a dozen times over the years (although
one was simply proactive due to the TJX thing.  One single purchase I made at
Winners!)

(One was memorable: we know the number was stolen from a gas station where I
made a gas purchase outside the hospital on the day Number One grandson was
born.)

I travel so much and get so many unrelated credit issues such as blocking
because I'm in a country I wasn't at yesterday that my card is closely
watched.

Mine must be watched reasonably closely.  I dunno how they do it, since my
purhases must be weirdly close to patternless.  However, the last time it happened,
they phoned me at home a day or two after the first false transaction, and
correctly identified which one was mine and which false on the same day.

The funny thing is the card company called a phone I nearly never answer
and asked for "Mr. or Mrs. Evron". Without waiting i said: "thanks, not
interested" and hung up. They called back and for some reason I answered.

On that last call, being the professional paranoiac I am, I called the credit card
company back to confirm that they had made the call ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
        It's a small world. So you gotta use your elbows a lot.
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm