funsec mailing list archives

Re: China's Cyber-Militia: Who is Tim Bennett?

From: Chris Callahan <crcallahan () ucdavis edu>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 11:57:59 -0700 (PDT)

Is Mr. Bennett proposing that electrical utilities spend more money on
cyber-security and less money on routine maintenance?  Certainly "Chinese
Cyber-Militia" is much more sexy than "overgrown trees"....

Note well this qualification:

Tim Bennett, the former
president of the Cyber Security Industry Alliance, a leading trade group,
-----------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IOW, he's saying, "It's imperitive that utilities give as much money as
possible to the companies I've been representing and which have been
paying my salary and whom I still rely on for consulting work."

If they'd asked Hilary Rosen, I'm sure that the response would have
been along the lines of, "File traders have infiltrated utilities all
over the country! Stopping this activity must become our top priority
because those copyright infringing narco-terror-pedo-phile-ists pose a
clear and present danger to U.S. government!"

etc. etc.

What else would the former president of the Cyber Security Industry
Alliance be expected to say? If Mr. Bennett represented the Tree
Trimmers' Union local 256, I imagine it would be a different story.

-Chris