funsec mailing list archives

Re: The wildlist

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 01:16:45 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Bruce Ediger wrote:

Apparently from:
http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/The-AntiMalware-Certification-Problem/
In fact, insiders in the anti-virus industry, especially vendors, are
widely derisive of the WildList, looking on it as an outdated burden on
their development. The malware in it is outdated and not representative
of the true threats facing users.

Wait, the "wild" list does not represent the true threats facing users
in the real wild?  Why not?  It's the "wild" list, right?

Given the amount of footdragging that led up to the "wildlist" shouldn't the
users get a replacement before it goes away?  I mean, really, the AV people
would have made more progress early on if they'd had something like the
"wildlist" wouldn't they?

No.

Every AV company had, as target, to detect *all* viruses, irrespective of
whether it was known to be in the wild or not. The wildlist was mostly of
use to consumers to help them avoid poor AV products.

Back in the days when boot-sector viruses like Brain were the main threat,
getting an idea of the geographic dispersion would have helped the AV folks to
decide what the methods of propagation were, right?

No. Because we already knew. You leave an infected data disk in drive A
when you boot up.

Local outbreaks might mean
sharing MS-DOS boot disks.  International simultaneous outbreaks might mean
"BBS" distribution, or someone typed in a virus from Burger's or Ludwig's
books.

The viruses from Burger's book were very poor replicators. Only Vienna was
seen at all in the wild, and that not very often. This is because it
wasn't a memory-resident replicator. The other Burger viruses were even
worse.

Instead of stabbing each other in the back to make a buck, the AV companies

I don't think we ever did that. Actually, there was quite a lot of
cooperation between the techies (and I guess there still is).

could have put together something that would have helped everyone, instead of
merely extracting money from the pockets of the most fearful and superstitious.

No, we were extracting money from people who had, mostly, already had an
encounter with a virus, and didn't want another one.

But I guess that wouldn't have been as much fun as telling people to "Practice
Safe Hex" or some other dumb catchphrase.  They should have told people to run
linux, or netbsd or OS-9 or NeXTStep.  That would have helped more than "Safe
Hex".

Telling people to "Practise safe Hex" was, I agree, pretty useless.
Telling people to switch their operating system (or change their computing
platform), and change all their application software, would have been even
more useless.