funsec mailing list archives

Re: Congress Alarmed At Cyber-Vulnerability Of Power Grid

From: "Kurt Grutzmacher" <grutz () jingojango net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 08:09:13 -0700

To be fair, the TVA report came from the GAO and I've yet to read a GAO
report on "cyber security" that wasn't bad news for the organization being
audited. If they were to go to any other utility company in the world I'm
sure they'd find similar issues as their standards are (rightfully so) very
high.

That's not to say there aren't problems at TVA as I'm sure there are. NERC
is more concerned on keeping the power running which includes things like
life and health safety, flowing electricity between long distances and
different companies, making sure generation is there, etc. Cyber security is
on the list and if companies don't follow their CIP standard they face huge
fines (up to $1m a day of non-compliance).

Suffice to say power companies are an old lot here in the US and as such
have an air of self-importance which leads to the "we know what's best"
syndrome. After all, they have to keep the lights on and the hospitals
running.

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Juha-Matti Laurio <