funsec mailing list archives

Smile, You're On Camera: Eye-Fi Card Catches Thief

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 16:00:07 -0400

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/06/smile-youre-on.html

Smile, You're On Camera: Eye-Fi Card Catches Thief

By Charlie Sorrel  <mailto:mistercharlie () gmail com> EmailJune 06, 2008 |
6:32:31 AMCategories:  <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/cameras/index.html>
Cameras,  <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/cameras/index.html> Cameras

Here's a new use for the Eye-Fi wireless SD card that we hadn't considered:
A virtual private eye. Eye-Fi user Alison DeLauzon lost $1,000 worth of
photo gear while on holiday in Florida.

The Eye-Fi <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/news/2007/11/eyefi>  SD
card, once plugged into your camera, hooks up to the internet and sends your
photos to either an online sharing site or directly back to your home
machine. In this case it was the latter, and the hapless thief not only sent
the precious vacation shots back to Alison's computer, but -- according to
the email we received from Gadget Lab reader Joe Volat -- "pictures [of] the
thieves proudly displaying Alison's lifted camera equipment."

"I opened up the Eye-Fi manager on the computer and, lo and behold, there
are the guys that stole our cameras," DeLauzon told Reuters
<http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0534545220080605?feedTyp
e=RSS&feedName=technologyNews> .

This is certainly not the first time that technology has foiled a foolish
felon: remember the tattooed man who fell afoul
<http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/09/tattoed-man-gai.html>  of the auto
uploading FlickBooth? But in this case, the thief was extra unlucky. The
current generation of Eye-Fi cards need to be preconfigured for each hotspot
they access.

In this case, the thief was unlucky enough to stumble across an access point
with the exact same SSID and lack of password as one of Alison's regular
haunts. We're guessing it was an unsecured hot spot with the default SSID.

Thanks, Joe!