funsec mailing list archives

Re: Censorship in America, yet again

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 12:45:47 -0400

On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 01:50:28PM -0400, Richard M. Smith wrote:
U.S. Funded Health Search Engine Blocks 'Abortion'

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/a-government-fu.html

Happily, this has been swiftly fixed:

        Overreaction to Bush Administration Complaint Prompted Block on 'Abortion' Searches
        http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2008/04/administrators.html

which reads in part:

        "I could not disagree more strongly with this decision, and I
        have directed that the Popline administrators restore 'abortion'
        as a search term immediately," said Michael J. Klag, the school's
        dean in a statement issued on Friday. "I will also launch an
        inquiry to determine why this change occurred. The Johns Hopkins
        Bloomberg School of Public Health is dedicated to the advancement
        and dissemination of knowledge and not its restriction."

---Rsk