funsec mailing list archives

Re: Stop The 70% Lie

From: "The Security Community" <thesecuritycommunity () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:10:57 -0400

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:14:52 EDT, "Young, Keith" said:

I think Verizon Business's recent report (based on over 500 actual data breach
incidents) is fairly credible.  I'd certainly believe that insiders racked up
70% or more of the financial loss, even if they aren't 70% of the incidents.

The executive summary:

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/about/news/displaynews.xml?newsid=25135&mode=vzlong&lang=en&width=530

87% would have been preventable via reasonable security measures.
75% were discovered by a third party, not the victims.
66% involved data the victims didn't even know was on the system.

The full report:

http://www.verizonbusiness.com/resources/security/databreachreport.pdf

Absolutely.  This has nothing to do with a real study by Verizon (very
nice, BTW, and thanks for the link).  It is the legendary, over-quoted
"FBI estimate" - that no one can find - that is the issue.  The
CSI/FBI survey (pick a year - any year) is a close contender, but none
of them have ever explicitly stated the 70% Lie, and inferring that
they do state it is quite a leap.

And of course "CSI/FBI" != "FBI".

The issue is not what the number "really is".  The issue is the FBI
never published it and journalists should stop using it until they can
link to the facts.