funsec mailing list archives

Re: Where does the Republican Party stand on top posting?

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:05:41 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 7/21/08, Alex Eckelberry <AlexE () sunbelt-software com> wrote:
I started, like everyone else, eons ago with bottom posting.

Seconded (Thirded, Fourthed).

In a public forum like this one, or in email between known-capable bottom-posters, I will still bottom-post like this
(edit out everything except the most pertient original text, then bottom-post point-form responses).

When a conversation really requires point-form responses to comments in the original message, I have taken to editting
down and prefacing every one of my replies with my initials (CB:) so people using The Horror Known As Outlook (HKO)
have a chance of following the conversation.

Frankly, there have never been a majority of people who would take the time to cut-down the original text enough to
make the most of embedded-response bottom posting (Ranum is a notable exception).  It was almost as annoying to have to
lecture people on email etiquette then as it is now.

I miss the conversational flow of *proper* embedded-response bottom posting, but for better or worse Alex is correct.
99% of the time it has become a matter of swimming against the current and is not worth the effort to fight.  HKO is
here to stay and it's best to get used to it.

-chris