funsec mailing list archives

Waste gas so the Chinese won't get it!

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 21:58:27 -0500

Junk Science: Conservation Nation?

Conservation also isn't necessarily a virtue for those consumers who are
unfazed by $4 gasoline, but nevertheless vainly choose to conserve to
achieve some imagined "greater purpose," such as "saving the planet" or
"reducing our dependence on foreign oil." This is, in fact, where
conservation becomes, if anything, an anti-virtue.

In our modern society, using less gasoline means doing less and, most
importantly, it means spending less. It means fewer shopping trips, less
eating out, fewer pleasure trips and less employment in those businesses to
where you drive.

It means fewer cars, pleasure boats and airplanes, and fewer jobs in the
industries that manufacture those goods. Using less gasoline means engaging
in less economic activity.

.

Finally, if you think conservation will lead to less oil being used
worldwide, think again. China, India and other rapidly developing countries
plan to use all the oil they can get. If we don't buy Canadian tar sands
oil, India will buy it to fuel their $2,500 Tata cars.