funsec mailing list archives

Re: link from http page to https page

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:26:15 +0000 (UTC)

: I think it's a matter more of how users being used to that could be
: easily socially engineered on top of a website defacement, as opposed to
: any technological security risk. Assuming the site redirected to is, in
: fact, what it claims to be, then the user remains safe. The issue is: if
: I get redirected from http://www.citicards.com to
: https://www.citicards.com.rbn.ru, and don't notice it, I'm hosed. If I'm
: used to seeing the domain change, then I am less likely to notice it.
:  There's probably also the underlying assumption in the hosting company
: that the "non-secure" domain doesn't need to be as well protected,
: thereby making a defacement changing the redirect more likely.

Even so, labeling this a vulnerability or 'design flaw' in a banking web
site seems to be inappropriate given the typical uses and general
acceptance of those words.