funsec mailing list archives

Re: medical full disclosure, military style

From: "Michael Simpson" <mikie.simpson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:07:45 +0100

On 8/5/08, Tomas L. Byrnes <tomb () byrneit net> wrote:
Growing up in Ireland, it was widely reputed, and agreed, that the
hospitals in Belfast had the best trauma surgeons, due to experience.

my mate did an elective there and the sophistication in the use of
kneecapping was something to behold in that there were 3 different
degrees of it according to the site of entry of the bullet and calibre
used

Medicine is clinical by nature, and open exchange of experience and
procedure the norm.

True to an extent yet the old adage of "see one, do one, teach one"
still holds so whilst information is disseminated widely it is still
done through contact with the holder of the experience of the
procedure.
In IT we have a much greater opportunity to let the information needed
be spread far and wide as following a text when hacking is easier then
trying to do an op whilst looking at the pretty pictures.

As practitioners of another dismal science, I believe there is a lot we
can learn from our peers in the medical profession (starting with making
our profession more professional).

Please do and try to avoid the total bullcr*p of jealously guarding
information in order to keep control of the "power" of the knowledge
as us medics did for centuries

mike