funsec mailing list archives

Fraudulent spam about CNN.com

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 15:15:55 -0400

I'm getting a lot of these fake CNN email messages on my two email accounts.

Question:  Do the spammers now have enough fire power to shutdown email by
overloading servers with too many messages?

Richard

http://behindthescenes.blogs.cnn.com/

Fraudulent spam about CNN.com

Earlier this week, a spam message purporting to be from CNN began
circulating the Internet. We decided to blog about this to alert those of
you who hadn't yet received it to be on the lookout for it; and also to
assure those of you who did receive it that the message was NOT, in fact,
from CNN.

As you may know, spammers often disguise or forge the source of their e-mail
to give recipients the impression that the message derived from another
system, especially one tied to a recognizable brand. In this instance, the
spammer chose to use the CNN brand.

The message, claiming to contain CNN's Top 10 news stories and videos of the
day, is fraudulent and did not originate from CNN. If you have received it,
we suggest that you delete it from your mailbox. Further, we recommend you
delete any e-mail message from your mailbox that you believe may be
illegitimate.

Thanks to all of you out there who alerted us to the existence of this spam
purporting to be from CNN.