funsec mailing list archives

Re: symantec to buy pc tools

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 17:52:04 -0800

Date sent:              Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:55:32 +1200
From:                   Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>

Or maybe CP had already done that
deal with Microsoft, before the Symantec purchase, so that MS could
include an AV -- _any_ AV -- in the MS-DOS v5.0 release?

Yup, it was done before the purchase.

(I heard MS
wasn't willing to pay very much in royalties for the privilege of
bundling whatever AV they could get, hence they got the crappiest and one
of several "obviously failing" products at the time...)

Yup, I remember the very strong rumours of the time, although I never managed
to get confirmation.  The price I heard was "free," which CP allegedly agreed to
because they figured they'd make money on updates.  Unfortunately, nobody told
DOS/Windows purchasers that their "free" AV needed signature updates, so CP
didn't make many sales.

Regardless of whether the CPAV/MS deal was pre- or post-Symantec buyout,
I'm fairly sure Symantec actually produced detection update files for
MSAV for a while after it bought CP, but not for long/very regularly.

No for long at all.  Support died within months ...

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
              The size of a man is determined by what makes him mad.
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/