funsec mailing list archives

Privacy, Information and Intelligence: Interesting Magazine Issue Featuring NPS Researcher (fwd)

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 20:24:00 -0500 (CDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:14:01 -0700
From: "Koons, Jack"

Fellow researchers, scholars, and practitioners,

As an FYI, I just came across the latest issue of Scientific American
(September 2008).  It just hit the stands this week and features an
article by NPS Associate Professor Dr Simpson Garfinkel from our CS
department.  The magazine this month is devoted to the future of
privacy, data sharing, and information in our modern hi-tech world.  It
includes articles of further interest to those of us working in the
field (literally and figuratively) such as:

-Internet-Age Wiretapping

-Onion Routing (Anonymous Channel Data Sharing)

-Data fusion and  algorithms for dealing with partial or incomplete
information

-Bug Bots and other intelligence gathering tools

-Digital surveillance tools and sensors

-Cryptography for keeping secrets

-RFID Chips and their use to track unsuspecting people

-Biometric ID:  Security based on anatomical and behavioral tagging

-Privacy in a Facebook Age

-Defending genetic confidentiality

-Social networking (and analysis) implications

-And Simpson's discussion on personal data mash-ups (and why it's hard)

Also inside are pointers to article of interest by leaders in the field
such as Jeff Jonas (many of you have heard me speak about his work
concerning intelligence sharing) Whit Diffie (cryptography), among
others.  All in all a really well laid out issue this month with
particular relevance to those in our line or work and research.

Here is the link:

http://www.sciam.com/sciammag/

Jack