funsec mailing list archives

Fwd: [Dataloss] Best Western Response

From: "Paul Ferguson" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 05:46:53 GMT

FYI.

- - ferg

[snip]

From: jkouns <jkouns () opensecurityfoundation org>
To: dataloss () attrition org

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/best-western-responds-sunday-herald/s
tory.aspx?guid={A87F9682-AC67-4803-A135-B6ACF42C0956}&dist=hppr

Best Western Responds to Sunday Herald Story Claiming Security Breach
Hotel Chain Asserts No Evidence to Support Sensational Claims
Last update: 6:37 p.m. EDT Aug. 24, 2008

PHOENIX, Aug 24, 2008 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- The story printed in the
Sunday, August 24, 2008, Glasgow Sunday Herald claiming a security
breach of Best Western guest information is grossly unsubstantiated.
Claims reported about our Central Reservations customer records are not
accurate. We at Best Western take the confidentiality of our customers'
personal information very seriously. The Sunday Herald reporter brought
to our attention the possible compromise of a select portion of data at
a single hotel; we investigated immediately and provided commentary.
Best Western would have welcomed the opportunity to fact-check the
story, which would have resulted in more accurate and credible reporting
on the part of the newspaper. We have found no evidence to support the
sensational claims ultimately made by the reporter and newspaper.

Most importantly, whereas the reporter asserted the recent compromise of
data for past guests from as far back as 2007, Best Western purges all
online reservations promptly upon guest departure.

Best Western is committed to safeguarding the confidential information
of our guests. We comply with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data
Security Standards (DSS). To maintain that compliance, Best Western
maintains a secure network protected by firewalls and governed by a
strong information security policy. We collect credit card information
only when it is necessary to process a guest's reservation; we restrict
access to that information to only those requiring access and through
the use of unique and individual, password-protected points of entry; we
encrypt credit card information in our systems and databases and in any
electronic transmission over public networks; and again, we delete
credit card information and all other personal information upon guest
departure. We regularly test our systems and processes in an effort to
protect customer information, and employ the services of
industry-leading third-party firms to evaluate our safeguards.

PCI requires the periodic evaluation, testing, and re-certification of
compliance. To that end, our most recent internal review was conducted
in August 2008, as was our most recent external test and review. Both
evaluations showed Best Western to be compliant with PCI DSS.
Best Western would like to assure our customers, member hotels and
business partners that we have no evidence to suggest that there is need
for widespread concern. As a precautionary measure, now and always, we
advise guests to review their credit card statements closely, and we
will of course continue to comply with PCI standards going forward.
Customer inquiries should be directed to our US customer service team
at 800 528-1238

SOURCE: Best Western International

Best Western International
Troy Rutman, 00 + 1 +602.578.0086 (mobile)
00 + 1 +602.957.5668 (office)
Troy.Rutman () bestwestern com

[end]

--