funsec mailing list archives

Home of the free (fwd)

From: security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition org>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 20:02:09 +0000 (UTC)

I drove through downtown yesterday trying to get to lunch, big mistake. The amount of police down there was incredible. As I pulled up to 16th street (on Tremont), a small parade of anti-war protesters were marching down Tremont (against traffic, it's 1-way) and turned on 16th. Two police vehicles, one with 6 riot-geared officers standing on the sides, continued to block Tremont for 10 minutes *after* the protestors had turned onto 16th.

As the group turned down 16th (outdoor 'mall', no private vehicles), the parade of police officers that followed was considerably bigger than the protest group. First, dozens of police officers, most in riot gear passed. Several unmarked vans followed, each full of more riot-geared officers. A unit of bicycle officers followed them. Six to ten horse mounted officers followed them. Finally, more foot patrol and riot-geared officers.

One of the two police vehicles blocking Tremont finally moved (the other stayed), and it took a lot of honking and pointing to convince the car in front of me that going through the green light at 16th and going around the vehicle was acceptable.

I turned on 15th and only had about 1.5 miles to go to get to lunch. Made it maybe halfway before I hit a deadlock. Friends in a car a few blocks up couldn't see everything, but said there was a lot of commotion and it looked like "someone important arrived". A single unmarked police car lit up and turned on the sirens and tried to get through the deadlock, and a dozen or more riot-geared officers picked up the pace on the sidewalk to head down. I pulled off the road into a parking lot and took Spear Blvd behind the convention center to get down to Wazee and left on 15th bypassing whatever it was.

In the 20 - 25 minutes I was downtown, I saw police cars from just about every county in Colorado. There were as many police as civilians, more on some blocks. I imagine that ratio will change this week but it was an interesting experience.

I grabbed a few very low quality pics with my phone:

http://attrition.org/~jericho/pix/dated/08-08-24-dnc/