funsec mailing list archives

Re: encodor/message encryption?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 11:43:43 +1200

Valdis Kletnieks to Gadi:

Who wants to bet that it's snake-oil crypto?

If you bang in a long string of "A" chars and use a string of "A" chars
as the key, then try using the same length string of "B" chars (or "a"
chars or "H" chars or "-" chars, etc, etc) results in a "decoded" string
of all the same chars (different ones for each key string, but a decoded
string of all the same chars and of the right length).

Now, I'm no cryptographer, but I think that's a very unlikely result for
a strong crypto algo -- the wrong key should produce "random junk" no
matter what the original input clear text, no?

In case it matters, I used 400 chars input string and 30 chars key -- the
max encodor allows for both.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald