funsec mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft to rush out emergency Windows patch today

From: "Jack McCarthy" <funsec () jackmccarthy com>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:32:52 -0400

How? (This is hypothetical here) I am running XPSP2 and my firewall is
on. I don't have file and print sharing on, as is the case with the
overwhelming majority of XPSP2 users.

Change the perspective at which you look at it.  Plant the seed (think
drive-by, think rouge antivirus/antispyware, think SQL Injection/IFRAME mass
compromises, malicious SWF/MP3/PDF, rotating banner ads, ...) and *then* let
it spread (RPC/network propagation).  Could be a major pain-in-the-ass once
inside a corporate network don't you think?

http://blog.threatexpert.com/2008/10/gimmiva-exploits-zero-day-vulnerability.html