funsec mailing list archives

Astronauts cast presidential votes from space

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 01:21:31 +0200 (EET)

"Two US astronauts have voted from space in order to encourage their compatriots to take part in the forthcoming
presidential election.

Commander Mike Fincke and Flight Engineer and Science Officer Greg Chamitoff sent a message from the International
Space Station, urging Americans to use their vote.

They said that they were "exercising our constitutional right and privilege in casting our ballot this election day ...
in the tradition set by other astronauts who have been in orbit during election day in the past."

The pair added: "Voting is the most important statement Americans can make in fulfilling a cherished right to select
its leaders.
So this election day take time to go to the polls and vote."

They emphasised that "If we can do it, so can you."

As the astronauts make clear, "NASA and the Texas legislature worked out a special method to allow us to vote from
space.""
--clip--

More at
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/uselection2008/3273456/US-election-2008-Astronauts-cast-presidential-votes-from-space.html