funsec mailing list archives

Re: pause for reflection

From: Gadi Evron <ge () linuxbox org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:49:43 -0500 (CDT)

Thank you for your comments.

Unrelated, looking back at this ars poetica of mine I almost puked. I
meant it all and am happy I wrote it, but it's "too much." :)

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, der Mouse wrote:

No villain ever sees himself as the bad guy, as the saying goes.  A
friend recently showed me Russian language comments written on Brian
Krebs' recent Washington Post story.  In them, the posters ask: "why
do you take our bread away?"

That's easy: the same reason "we" "take away" the bread of the kids of
a drug smuggler...or a hit man...or an embezzler...or any of the
various other actions we have chosen to consider offenses worthy of
substantial punishment: it's _punishment_.

This glosses over the different values of "we" involved when offenses
go trans-border.  But that makes it, if anything, stronger: there is
some force to their argument if everything is entirely within their
society, but when it spills over into another society that considers it
unacceptable, the injured society has every right to wall itself off.
That's in large part what being a soverign state is all about.

And, that aside, it's not really "us" "taking away" "their" bread.
Rather, it's "us" refusing to let "them" continue taking it from us.

We can not truly comprehend what it means for some folks in Russia
to no longer be able to feed their children this month.

Much the same argument can be applied to the dependents of any criminal
who is newly prevented from profiting from crime.

Doesn't stop us from putting criminals away.  Nor should it, IMO.  And,
whether these people are criminals by their own society's rules, they
were by ours, and since they were operating in ours, our rules apply.

Yes, it sucks for innocents to get caught in the middle - and, while I
suspect most of the people actually making comments aren't very
innocent, there doubtless are some who are - their kids, spouses, etc.
But I consider it better than the alternatives, which amount to giving
up on rule-of-law.

/~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents-montreal org
/ \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27 4B