funsec mailing list archives

Re: Do AV products detect PHP backdoors? Should they?

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 23:39:56 +0200 (EET)

Thanks for your work.
On that list F-Secure and Kaspersky use the same scanning engine, i.e. the results are expected.

Juha-Matti

John LaCour [john () johnlacour com] kirjoitti:
After finding hundreds of phishing web sites compromised and PHP shells and
other backdoors installed, I got to wondering why AV products weren't being
used to detect these things.   If I had a webhosting business, I'd certainly
be looking to find unwanted files installed on servers.   What do you use to
do that?  AV products.

After collecting 99 samples of PHP shells and backdoors 'in the wild', I
scanned them with 29 vendor's AV scanners to see if they were being
detected.   The results were a little bit disheartening, but I think it's
something that can be addressed fairly easily.

Top 5 vendors:

Ikarus

ClamAV

F-Secure

AntiVir

Kaspersky

More here on test methodology, results, and caveats:

http://www.phishlabs.com/blog/archives/35

-John, PhishLabs