funsec mailing list archives

Re: OT: Why is the internet so boring now?

From: Michael Collins <mcollins () aleae com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 10:28:32 -0500

I don't know if I'd say that that's as inspiringly insane as Chocolate
Rain.

A hypothesis: I think it's really just a function of marketing. I've
been spending some time over the past year reading "pre-genre" books
--- these are books that existed in a genre before the genre existed
(for example: fantasy novels before Tolkien wrote Lord of the Rings or
Howard wrote Conan the Barbarian).  At the time, the authors really
don't have anything to react to so they have a lot more freedom and a
lot more weirdness going on.  After someone slaps  genre label on it,
there's an inevitable calcification: I've seen complete lists of dos
and dont's for detective fiction, for example.  Tastemakers at that
point serve as gatekeepers and promoters, but part of their
requirement for promoting is usually fealty to the genre.

I suspect that there's still the same level of weirdness and
interesting material out there --- the reason being that the internet
has an infinite pool of amateurs to draw from.  What changes are the
structures of promotion and endorsement; once people figure out how
something "works" (and it's not so much figuring it out as defining
it), there's an influx of professionals and a calcified endorsement
structure develops.  Blogs are a good example of this, where it was
originally just Jorn Barger and his personal insanity, and we now have
professionals from before blogs, professionals developed in blogs, and
blogging companies.

In conclusion: the interesting stuff is still there, but there's a
large structure interested in pointing you to the less interesting and
more profitable stuff.  It's an inevitable part of the process.
Youtube is starting to morph into the same thing as blogs are now,
still amusing amateurish but rabidly becoming slicker as youtube stars
become more common.  Same thing with podcasting.  In a few years there
will be some new thing and we'll see the same process again.