funsec mailing list archives

Re: Issue with Microsoft WindowsUpdate/MicrosoftUpdate

From: Skiifwrald <info () skiifwrald com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 08:38:14 +0900

Hi Keith,

Just a quick OT question.  I can understand obfuscating malware links
in order to allow email filters to let messages through (though we
should have all whitelisted the mailing lists we are on) and I can
understand doing it to prevent the inadvertent brain fail and
unintentional click.

Why is it necessary to do so for Microsoft's update URLs?  I have seen
the odd Exchange setup where an overzealous admin has prevented
messages with http or www in them from exiting the network but it is
odd to see it happen for addresses that should be benign (though that
all depends on how you view Microsoft and their products).

Carl
Sûnnet Beskerming