funsec mailing list archives

Re: Google Earth used by terrorists in India attacks

From: "Debasis Mohanty" <debasis.mohanty.listmails () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:06:01 +0530

Indian Terrorists Planted Five Bombs

More than the incident what happened in Mumbai, it is really saddening to
see how international news media do not do basic ground work to validate
sources atleast for news related to terrorism.

Although not surprised but one thing is confirmed that it is very easy to
cook up fake stories and influence entire online media and people who rely
over it. Use of "Indian Terrorists" itself confirms that how easily online
media is influenced with fake sources to spread fake news across or simple
suppress the genuine news in the midst. We are living in a world where most
online lurkers rely upon their blog friends more than there own blood. Most
start there morning blogging and ends up with social networking groups
before hitting the sack in the night. I had this feeling the day one the
incident took place that the country responsible for such terror attack can
easily use its resources to pump internet with so much of fake news so that
by the time the people read the original news they would treat it as fake.
What is interesting to see here is even a school going kid will be able to
do it and influence millions online. In other words one can pump all fake
news to blogs, forums, mailing list and setup fake onlines news
sites/servers (like newsabc.com, realnews.aaaa.com etc etc) for atleast a
month to create wrong impression world wide. I am sure not much would
actually put any effort to validate such news and draw their own conclusions
and unknowingly become a part of spreading such fake news across.

Not many have bothered to see the original news and investigation details by
news from India, incase interested in learning about the real story then
here are they....

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/mumbaiterrorstrike/default.aspx

http://features.ibnlive.in.com/special/web2/mumbai-terror-attack.html

-d