funsec mailing list archives

Re: Apple recommends anti-virus software for Mac

From: Juha-Matti Laurio <juha-matti.laurio () netti fi>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 12:41:18 +0200 (EET)

The document doesn't exists any more
(We can't find the article you're looking for.)

but it appears that document is not from Nov '08, it's remarkable old.

Juha-Matti

Juha-Matti Laurio [juha-matti.laurio () netti fi] kirjoitti:
in fact they recommend using multiple AV software at
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2550

"so that virus programmers have more than one application to circumvent".

The TechNote lists Intego VirusBarrier X5, Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 11 for Macintosh, and McAfee VirusScan for Mac.

They don't list Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac or avast! antivirus. Additionally, free ClamXav is not mentioned.

That release of the document was covered widely in IT security news.
My personal opinion is that it's not important is there two or three malware for OS X systems - Leap or Lamzev etc.
The most important point is that the market share of Macs is growing an growing.